Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Thoughts before leaving USA

What an amazing country we live in to have safe drinking water, a requirement for all children to receive an education and the ability to drive from one city street to the next without fear. We are so lucky to have a government that protects us from harm instead of inflicting it. As I sit here and ponder my current home and the one I will soon have, there's a feeling of hope, a feeling of excitement that is beginning to grow. A feeling that even if I can only improve one Afghani's life by sharing a smile, offering a meal or telling a story, I know that my service will be worth it. It isn't enough for me to settle in to my military post, eat three warm meals a day, work out at the gym and sleep in a warm bed. There is a bigger purpose...to help those who cannot help themselves. Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather then avenge it?" I'll sleep on this thought tonight, in my warm bed.
Good night, all.

1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration. I look forward to learning of your experiences through your posts. As you go on this journey remember one thing. Pull out that lemon in your bag and remember "food forever" :-) Love you!

    ReplyDelete