Sunday, January 11, 2009

She works hard for her money...

Well, I have to say today was one of the easiest days of my life as a Marine. Let's see...I woke up naturally without the aid of an alarm clock, caffeine or a drill instructor yelling in my ear. After pushing back my down comforter, I slipped out to the ladies room to freshen up, off to breakfast and then out for a 10 mile run. Now the run almost turned into a search party for this El Capitan b/c I didn't exactly know if the road I was running on would lead me back to the camp or into the arms of a a group of banchies. Let's just say I started to look for avenues of escape in case my legs gave out on me!!! Luckily, I ran long enough to return in a full circle back to my starting point...just in time to reach the gym for electrolytes and cold agua. Lesson of the day: don't EVER leave a foreign country base without first looking at a map and taking along a buddy.

Bad news arrived this afternoon...our flight is now delayed until at least Weds...some of us are going crazy waiting to get to our jobs in Afghanistan. So for now, I'll stick to working out, reading books, looking for furry friends (there are cats and mice), joking around at meal time with other Marines and absorbing the wonderful Kuwaiti sun.

As an aside, for those of you that also have an love of the "little people", yes there are midgets living in Kuwait. We saw one the first night we arrived and she or he works here on the base. Quite a shock to see at 9:30 at night but I always welcome the vertically challenged, especially out here in the middle of the desert.

Well, I'm off to watch Tropic Thunder and hit the rack. Good night.

3 comments:

  1. Hi baby, Your uncle Ron said to remember the sun rises in the east and sets in the west and the moss gross on the north side of the rock. And bring a running buddy next time.

    Make sure to let us know your mailing address as soon as you get settled in so we can send you a care package. What kind of goodies would you like to get? I have all the fix'ins for prawlines. They may not be as good as mom's but it's her recipe so maybe they will be close.

    Stay safe, all our love,
    Aunt Aggie and Uncle Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I feel like your mother-hen. As I read this I said to myself "WHAT DID SHE DO??!?!?!"

    Don't make me come over there and give you a spankin'!

    Seriously, Staci you are so funny and one heck of a tough woman. "I went out for a leisurely 10 mile run". I half expected you to say "with my eyes closed, in my PJs, barefoot, and in sub-zero conditions."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love and miss you baby sister. You are an inspriation to all of us. I was so proud of you when you decided to join the marines, and I love and respect what you do. I have to admit that when I found out where you were going it did scare me a bit. I have to keep reminding myself you are a strong woman with alot of determination and you are a well trained marine. You have what it takes to make it through anything. I will be thinking of you everyday and remembering what a difference you are making for my childrens future. We will all sleep a little sounder because of you.My prayers are with you. Love you sis, Angel

    ReplyDelete