Monday, January 26, 2009

Can anyone see Kabul?

Our journey from Bagram to Kabul was filled with a scenery that many of us only see in the Rockie mountains or on the movie, "The Sound of Music". That is, the mountains were sprinkled with a fine layer of white, heavenly snow. Now, the countryside did not match the beauty of the rising rocks in the backdrop. Most of the homes along the way were either inside a mud wall compound that reminds me of a small fort while others lived in homes that we label as condemned or not safe to enter. Large dogs, maybe the size of Greyhounds, were seen lounging on dirt piles or sitting outside the entrance to the homes. Electricity did not appear to be available in this area, many did not have vehicles but there were bike riders traveling to and from work. And the wonderful little boys!!! How could I forget their innocent, dirt-smudged faces as they ran from their homes towards the road as we approached and offered us a hearty wave as we passed by. I snapped photos during this trip and will get them onlin soon.

As we approached the city of Kabul, the sun disappeared and a thick haze covered the blue sky. It looked like low lying storm clouds but the smell gave away the fact that these were not going to produce rain...they were there telling a sad tale of a city that knows nothing about "saving the globe." My first glance out the window onto the side of the road showed weather-beaten tin roof shacks with no electricity, men dressed in soiled "man dresses", women in an array of attire from the conservative burka and full covering to the modern pants and sweater, and glooming stares on most of the faces followed our vehicle as we passed by. Further into the city, we noticed older shops, billboards advertising cell phones, military vehicles (go figure?) and apartment buildings with large groups of children playing in a dirt field. The trip ended as we arrived safely at our base, one that offers 24/7 electricity, heat, running hot/cold water, internet access and a phone that can reach every country in the world. How fortunate we are to have such a safe, stable home in the U.S.

The average life exspectancy of an Afghan is on 47 years old. That would mean I only have another 13 years on this earth. The most shocking part about this statistic is that many of them look 70 years old when they die. The air here has high levels of toxic chemicals that cause respiratory problems, over 80% of the water in this city is non-potable, which means they cannot distill the water to make it safe for consumption, and many Afghans don't have anything to set their minds on except the thickening smog and prayers to Allah.

But, with that said, I was almost in tears as I witnessed a Muslim man setting out his towel-sized rug in a muddy field to pray to Allah, facing his holy land of Mecca. This man was smiling, peaceful and full of God's graces. The only thing that mattered to him was to thank Allah for the gift of air in his lungs, legs that allowed him to work and a heart to help others in his tribe. Sounds like he is my new go to person the next time I start to feel sorry for myself.

Oh...and there are more cats here at my base in Kabul and I know where they hang out so I can go by at random times to pet them!!

Good night Afghanistan and may Peace be with you:)

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you finally made it safe and sound. After reading about the air over there I wish you could wear a gas mask for the duration of your stay. Well at least you have the cats!!! Take care of yourself and I look forward to seeing the pictures you took.
    Love,
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so relieved that you made the trip safely.
    Thank you for describing the area. I can almost picture the people as they watched your convoy on the way in. It's a hard life they lead and having a war going on at their front door doesn't make it any easier.
    I'm so thankful for living in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW you could really write a book when this is over with. You are such a good writter, I can really imagine seeing what you saw. If only more Americans would appreciate living in a country as great as ours.

    I know this is a stupid question but is there a swimming pool on your base? I had the strangest dream about you last night. We had sent you a care package and the Marines sent me a notice saying they couldn't deliver it to you at the swimming pool area because you were not on their roster. And the rest of the dream I was trying to get them to deliver it to your office. What wierd things we dream about.

    We are so relieved that you made the trip without incident. Stay safe. All our love and prayers are with you.

    P.S. The special military boxes were delivered today so you need to ask around and find out what kind of stuff your fellow Marines would like in your package. I'm sure there is something on their wish list that we could put in your box so you can share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I talked to mother today, and read your first day there to her. we both got a little misty when I read about how simple the life over there must be. the man on his matt praying to God. everyday all of us pray and ask him to look after you. Daddy loves you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I was moved by your writing. I don't think I have read much of anything that you have written before except for the occasional email, but you do have a gift for writing. Don't know if anyone has ever told you that but it is really true Staci.

    As you described the surroundings I could imagine exactly what it looked like and the images are vivid in my mind even as I write this. I knew that conditions were beyond poor there but I was blown away at the 47 year old life expectancy. I would also imagine that the infant mortality rate is unimaginable also.

    I know that as time goes on you may not have the time to write such lengthy passages but I wanted to let you know that we all enjoy reading them - especially when they are so descriptive.

    And even though it is only Jan 27 I cannot help but be thankful that you are that much closer to being home....it can't come soon enough.

    Since you are taking the time to post your life every day, I will take some time to write you a little something in my comments to you. So here goes. I stayed home from work (again) today because of some sinus crud. The kids went to their mom's-day-out today (they go on Tues and Thurs) for a half-day.

    We got a call about 1:00 saying Claire had fallen at the playground and she wasn't using her hand. We got over there and she was in tears and she wouldn't let anyone touch her hand. She had it tucked under her arm and was protecting it. It was limp and she wasn't using it. Her little fingers just dangled there motionless.

    So we took her to the children's ER over here and got it x-rayed. By the time we had the x-ray don the little turkey began using it normally and was her happy little self. Bottom line - no broken bones...doc said she probably sprained it slightly.

    So we spent about 3 hours in the kids ER today to get that done. In retrospect we are lucky to have hospitals with water/electricity to take our kids to!

    So that's my little story for today. Take care and please be safe.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Staci,
    I just wanted to say Hi from some of your extended family (in Florida) and let you know that we are all thinking about you.
    Since you probably have no idea who I am..... I'm Aunt Bessie's middle daughter.
    I will be looking forward to your posts!!!
    Much Love,
    Shannon, Jay and Gavyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Staci,
    I just wanted to say hello and let you know my boys and I will be keeping up with your writings and keeping you in our prayers and thoughts. Really neat for them to be able to hear of your days there, since my two oldest are going into branches of the service.
    Thank you for sharing it with us!
    Love Ya,
    Melanie, Eric, Thomas, and Allen

    ReplyDelete