Friday, January 23, 2009

Snow-capped Mountains

Hello, Afghanistan! What a beautiful sight as we stepped off the Air Force C-17 airplane in Bagram, Afghanistan. 360 degrees of snow-capped mountains!! At first I thought I was in Telluride, Colorado or at Vail. But, I couldn't find the ski lifts or any people gliding down the slopes. I finally made it here on Thursday, 22 Jan 09 and the flight was only 4 hours from Kuwait. The air was crisp and clean, and the morning temperature was in the 40's. So, here's what has stuck in my mind so far:

1. If we could get rid of the terrorists and replace them with tourists, we could turn this into a vacation spot.
2. I went for an 8-mile run around the perimeter of the base today and saw an older Afghan man riding his camel onto base. I also saw a beautiful black and white bird that looked like a crow but made a unique twirping sound.
3. This base has a Dairy Queen, Burger King, Coffee shop, North Face clothing store, Pizza Hut and a Massage Parlor.
4. The main street down the center of the base is named "Disney Avenue".

So, I'm glad to be here in this country and am now awaiting travel to Kabul tomorrow. The convoy will take about 1.5 hours and I will take photos to share with each of you.

Take care and God Bless

5 comments:

  1. Staci,
    You do make it sound like a tourist getaway site. But we all know it's a very dangerous part of the world right now. I'm praying for your safe entry into Kabul. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the time you get to read this you will probably be at your new base in Kabul. I hope the amenities are as nice there as you describe they were at Bagram. We heard a lot in the news about increased activity in Afghanistan today because the terrorist are ticked off over some of President Obama's remarks. So please be extra careful. We all are praying for you and won't rest until we see your next post after the convoy trip and you safely arrive at Kabul.

    Now on the lighter side, I made a blogspot so we can share funny stuff with you. The first blog is a video caught on a store camera that you should get a big kick out of. I'll also post Jason's video on there too because he wasn't too sure you saw it. Here's the link: http://usfunstuff.blogspot.com

    Love you,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care of yourself. It sounds like it would be nice. Stay alert but also soak in all you can from your travel. Kubal or bust!!
    Love you,
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's 10:30am right now and I'm getting ready to go see Aunt Scarlet and Charlie. And I'll give your Nanny a kiss for you.

    I'm looking for some crochet thread to make you and Brad an Afgan. Email your dad or Aggie and let them know what color you would like.

    I was surprised about it being so cold over there.

    Stay safe and warm, with all love, grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be careful and stay vigilant. Don't let your guard down. I know it sounds cliche but don't trust anyone outside of your unit. At least for now.

    I am really happy you have this blog....if for no other reason that seeing a post from you every few days reassures us that you're ok.

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete