Thursday, January 8, 2009

Last night in Tampa...

So I have my flight set for tomorrow afternoon to Kuwait...13 hours of flight time, just enough to get me through a few movies, a bag of trail mix, three bloody mary's and one highly entertaining book. How do I feel as I move into the unknown? Excited to learn about a new culture, see a few new countries and once again realize how fortunate Americans are. My new year's resolution is to not complain about the conditions in Kabul b/c there are families outside our compound living in canvas tents covered with blankets...even as the snow falls and the temp drops below freezing. If any of you feel compelled to help the poor (majority) here in Afghanistan, please get with your churches/social groups and collect as many blankets, shoes and jackets that you can. Pay it forward by sending these items to help a needy child or adult. I thought about the homeless living on the streets in our US cities today and realized that most of them, if interested, have open access to programs, shelters and people that want to help them stay healthy. Needy Afghans aren't as fortunate. I'll sign off for now to flip my laundry, pack my bags and grab a few zzz's before the sun comes up over the beautiful Tampa Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment