Tuesday, January 20, 2009

International 5k Champion

23:01 was the time I crossed the finish at the Ali Al Salem, Army Base 5k Race. The Japanese took first in the men's division but I took the gold for the United States. The things I do to keep myself busy in Kuwai! I even have a t-shirt and medal as a life long reminder of my international success. Whew...so yes, I'm still in Kuwait and I'll just stop estimating my date of departure now. It will occur sometime between now and the end of the month...

So the inauguration of our new President is today and from our perspective, the military will move forward as it has over the past seven years, seeking out terrorist threats, deminishing hatred and torture and death in war-forsaken countries and protecting the most incredible country on earth, the United States. And, as our economy continues to teeter on deflation, the U.S. military provides a sense of financial security for not only our service members but also the thousands of companies worldwide who employee people to support our efforts. I read an interesting article yesterday and it talked about the value of the U.S. Dollar. The value of our dollar isn't weighed against gold, diamonds or oil. It is dependent upon the U.S.'s ability to continue to protect those who cannot protect themselves around the world, to protect the international waterways for trade, to provide aide to those who are injured or helpless and to stand up for civil rights regardless of religion, race or gender. America's value is dependent upon the military, the U.S. government and those who support us.

A saying here in Arabic that is used to express hope in the future is, "In sha' allah" (Inshalla), "God's Willing". Hope all is well at home and if anyone is preparing a meal soon, take a moment to give thanks for the ability to open a refrigerator, turn on a stove and pretty much eat any type of food you would like. Also, that the water in the faucet isn't contaminated and you can flush a toilet.

Take care.

8 comments:

  1. I'm just so proud of you. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you won!! I watched the inaguration in class today and it was breathtaking to see the amount of people there. I saw the Marines and thought again of how proud I am of you and every soldier that protects our country. I hope you get to your destination soon, in the mean time you can win something else, for sure.
    Love and miss you,
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took GOLD, that's great! "Semper Fi!" I really wanted to say "OOH RAH!" but when I asked how to spell it both Ron and Jessica yelled real quick that was a Army saying not for the Marines. Go figure! I thought it would work for all the services, but that's how much I know. We're really proud of you.

    All Our Love,
    Aggie, Ron, Jessica, Mina and Xandria

    ReplyDelete
  4. well I I'm finaly in. Thanks to my baby sister aggie.I have read all the comments and agree.kabul will never be the same,when you go to your new duty station. you are always in our prayers. we love you very much,capt.peace be with you---good night--love daddy&jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aggie and Mike have been reading me your blog almost every day. I have really enjoyed hearing how you are doing. I am so very proud of you in every way possible.

    I was very excited to hear about your 5K victory. But don't you dare go running around Kuwait by yourselve again - LOL.

    I am so very proud of you and love you so much I'm praying for your safety and the safety of all our troups all over the world.

    God Bless, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  7. 23:01? Really mom? I thought you ran faster than that!! LOL Anyway I'm glad you found something to do in Kuwait. I'm sure you are very proud of recieving the Gold! Good job.
    Love you
    Ferrin
    P.S. Stay safe and God bless

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Staci. Just thought I'd let you know I will be making the trip to see Brad and Ferrin on March 4th. I'll be traveling back her on the 25 of March, so Brad and Ferrin will have had enough of me by then.
    I was wondering if you've come across anyone there who has their own blog going. Maybe we could check out theirs and see what their experiences have been.
    Meanwhile, take care and I miss you very much. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete