Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Adventure...in Kuwait

Can you believe it?  It's has been over 8 days and we are still awaiting transport into Afghanistan.  Looks like the 19th or 20th.  In an effort to celebrate our extended stay here in Kuwait, we embarked on a courageous trip to another base for a chance to shop in luxury, eat unhealthy fast food and explore more of the country.  Well, the trip was pretty dry but the Taco Bell tasted just like it tastes at home and the bus drive passed by nomads who live their lives in tents set up in the desert...many of them have cars, trucks, generators to run electricity but their entire home is the size of a three car garage.  Such simple, peaceful people.  Most of the locals I have come in contact with have been extremely friendly although many of them are from India.  Very helpful and always eager to offer a smile or a handshake.  Sometimes I wish we had more people in the U.S. who were happy to do their jobs and were grateful for what they have.  I'm sure there is greed here in Kuwait...oil, natural gas, religious tension...but so far I have only witnessed workers here on the base who do a great job at keeping the chow hall, the bathrooms and the community centers in good order.

Take care, sleep tight and may peace be with you.

5 comments:

  1. We (Americans) can be so selfish, spoiled and unappreciative of what we are so fotunate to have here in America. Many turn a blind eye to the less fortunate people in the world and even in our own country. And don't think about all those that are tortured and killed every day for their believes, the way they look or sometimes for no reason at all.

    We should be the happiest and most generous people on the planet considering we are so fortunate to have all our liberties, freedoms, security, opportunites for education and employment, luxuries like food, clean water, homes with climate control, electricity, running water, indoor plumbing, roads, cars, computers, internet, cell phones etc. etc.

    You are such a beautiful, loving and caring soldier. It is because of warriors like you that I can sit here feeling safe and secure in my warm house, eating snacks, drinking a diet coke, with the TV blaring, typing on my laptop to my niece that is on the other side of the planet. Thank you and all the US solders that give so much of yourselves and your families everyday to keep our country safe and secure. All our love and prayers are with you all.

    Please take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your attitude about being where you are and the people you have been sent there to protect. Continue in your efforts to keep us all safe and learn as much as you can about that part of the world and all it's struggles. May we adopt your attitude and help our own people here at home who have lost hope in their country's future.
    You are a blessing to us all.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was moved by your post, as I have been by all of them so far.

    But on a lighter note...I feel compelled to tell you that I have heard that if you get take-out at the taco bells and then get back to your tent...if you give the manager a call and pretend to blow chunks over the telephone to the taco bell manager as a result of the "spoiled" food that you received....he will in all likelihood offer to give you a free meal and possibly even a dessert.

    Don't ask me how I know this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most people have lost sight of what is a need and go straight for the wants.. Everyone should sit back and think of what the basic needs to live are every now and then. To hear that the people you encounter there are happy to have what little they have is refreshing considering most people would just whine about what they don't have. I wish my children had the chance to see children less fortunate , on the other side of the world, so maybe they could see how fortunate they are to have what they have and maybe not want for so much more..I miss you and I am so proud of you
    Love you, Angel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom,
    I love you so much! You are such a great person, and it really shines through with your writing. I agree with Jason and can TOTALLY see you writing a book in the near future! I hope you look after all those stranded cats, and that you befriend the how did you say it? "vertically challenged"? ha ha I miss you lots and I hope you stat safe!! P.S. I love you

    ReplyDelete