Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tired...but happy

It's been a long day and today marks 1 month in Kabul, Afghanistan. My average day begins at 0530 as I throw on a pair of bike shorts, a tank top, jacket, running shoes and head over to the gym. Three days a week I put myself through torture in Spin class - stationary bike but everything is moving fast- and the other days of the week I run on the treadmill or outside and pick up big things and put them down!! Once I finish my workout, time for a quick shower and off to work. Some of you may catch me for a minute or two before work b/c most of you are on your way to bed. My work environment is very similar to the mission control center you see in NASA except our operations center tracks all the ground, aviation and support forces across Afghanistan. Can't go into too much detail but let's just say I KNOW what's going on in every region, province, district and city. Since we are short on staff, some of us also alternate as drivers a few days a week. What fun to drive around in a country that does not have traffic laws, street signs, or sidewalks...hmm can you spell crazy? Other than monitoring operations and reporting events to public affairs as needed, I usually break for lunch and dinner. Not loads of fun but this base is one of the most luxurious I have ever seen. When I'm working in ops, I usually make it in to my room by 2100 and am off to sleep by midnight.

So what makes today such a great day? Well, I am honored to say that I provided training to 25 Afghan Spokespersons and enjoyed every second of it. Everyone was respectful and courteous during the seminar and one trainee who had to depart early even asked my permission to leave. But, the most amazing part of the training was that the Afghans began to collaborate on ideas and I even realized that we are so much alike. They react to crisis situations just like we do and many of them even look at the media with a suspicious eye. I can't wait until our next class.

Other than work and the gym, I made it to an Italian dinner on base and to a Mardi Gras party at the US Embassy. The Italians were very kind and kept offering us more and more food. See photos. The Mardi Gras party was thrown by the US Aid Program and boy are they creative. They made four floats on top of four wheelers, had beads and candy to throw. See pics. Yes I did have jello but I didn't taste anything in it...:) Need to put the pics in later..computer is not cooperating today.

Make every moment count and savor them like it was your last...you never know when it will be.

4 comments:

  1. Man you are a such a motivational speaker. I love reading your posts. It us an understatement to say that your days are long and your nights are very short. You need to make sure you have time for sleep in there. I am not trying to lecture you but if you keep getting 5 or 4 hours sleep for the next year you will end up burning out way sooner than you otherwise would. Ok enough long distance lecturing :)

    I am so proud of you and think of you every day. If we could clone you and just put 1% of your personality into our leaders back home, boy we would be better off.

    You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you were able to celebrate Mardi Gras.I remember the jello shots I used to make for the parades. I even remember the year Mom and Grandma Rock were drinking Mudslide at the prade when it was freezing outside to keep warm.It sure does sound like your class is goig well.As far as sleep-you could probably use alot more.I do plan on making every moment count, since I am trying to play catch up. Take care and love and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your days are filled with lots of inspiring moments. I wish I still had all that energy. The Mardi Gras party sounded great! You had a chance to sample some good food too.
    Well I know if you could go on and on for 24 hours you would, but do try to rest the body a bit longer. And congratulations on your chance to train a few of these people. I'm so proud of you. You're having such a wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote this long comment last night (probably too long) and before I could post it I lost my internet connection. Bummer, it was a good one too.

    Don't have time for the long version now. Basically we wanted to tell you to take time to get the rest you need. We know you have this 25 yr old buff body and staying busy helps you from being so homesick for your baby and hubby. But you're not 25 anymore and you need to take care of yourself.

    We love you,

    ReplyDelete