Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A look at my journey so far...









I've finally added pictures to the site!! Today was a wonderful day in Afghanistan!! I met with several Afghan Military Officers, soldiers and recruits. They were all very cordial and respectful to me, even as a woman. I had my first cup of tea during a meeting with the Kabul Military Training Center Chief of Staff and other military PAO staff. As I watched the recruits marching during practice today, I started to feel a bit unsettled knowing that they are not respected as we as US military members are. A recent suicide bomb at a Southern Afghanistan Afghan Police Station is a telling sign that the Afghan National Police are targeted by insurgents. Over 22 Afghan Nat. Soldiers lost their lives in the attack and each life lost means a child, son, or father will not return home or be there to support his family. Despite their obstacles, these recruits are smiling, they are astute and when it's time to defend their city or country, I believe they will do what is good and just. Inshallah!

The second part of my day was as interesting as the first with a trip to Camp Eggers (500 meters) down the road. I drove from our compound there and I didn't run into any road barricades or guard rails!! Cpl. Unruh and I drove to Camp Eggers to have dinner with other Marines in the area and to meet the Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps, General Amos. To my surprise, MGen Terry Robling, the Third Marine Air Wing Commanding General, was there with him! I just left San Diego after working as the PAO for MGen Robling. He said hi and stopped for a quick picture.

Well, after having such a full day, I'm off to rest my eyes. Always remember...

You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off of you. --By Maya Angelou

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the pictures. You look very official in most of them. I can tell that the land is pretty barren in parts but the city looks bustling. As far as the weather, the white capped mountains tell the story. Keep warm and continue to brighten our day with your thoughts. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow did you have a FULL day or what! I'm glad to see that you found a cable to download your photos to your computer. The pictures are GREAT! As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words". But actually the landscape and surroundings are exactly as I imagined from the descriptions in your earlier posts. You have such a talent for descriptive writing. We really could close our eyes and imagine seeing what you described. Keep it up girlfriend, maybe one day I'll be related to a published author.

    I'm assuming that those solders that you were sitting in front of were the Afghan recruits you wrote about. I'm glad they are treating you with respect. Especially considering you are a woman, in a part of the world that the men show little respect for woman. Are there any women in the Afghan military yet? I bet all the women that have the opportunity to meet you over there will admire you and your accomplishments in the military and look up to you as a role model. I know we do.

    Was that General Amos or MGen Terry Robling with you in the shot with just the two of you? I swear I've seen him on TV several times but don't know who he is by name. You have some really good connections with some high officials. You make us so proud.

    I also liked the photo of you in your light color camouflage with the others in their green camouflage. They are all bundled up like it is extremely cold out but you are standing there looking very comfortable in your at-ease stance like it's a mild day. It's easy to see that you lived in the north for quite a while or they were stationed somewhere really warm. Or I guess you could just be a really good actress. LOL.

    Anyway, we loved the pictures. If you don't mind I'm stealing them to add to the family slideshow on the other blog.

    We are so proud of you and what you are doing and look forward to checking everyday to see if you have posted something else.

    Take care, be safe and remember you have a lot of people that love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoy your work, that makes it so much easier. I know you are doing what you are meant to do.

    I'm very proud of you meeting General Amos and MGen Terry Robling.

    I'm really enjoy having your post read to me everyday, it makes me feel like you right here.

    I love you girl, take care,
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I would have downloaded your pictures first I wouldn't of had so many questions because you were smart enough to put that kind of info into the file names. I couldn't believe those guys in the green camo were Afghans, they looked really cold compared to you.

    I added your photos as a separate slideshow on the other blog but couldn't get it to work with the captions. Also added a weather tool just in case anyone would want to check on the weather conditions in Kabul. Aren't computers great!

    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  5. looking good, standing tall and your a marine. What could anyone ask for-- your also a good person. I've listened to the way your looking at things, and its almost like we're right there with you. Thanks for letting us into your world.Be safe and pease be with you---Love Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos are great. You really are doing what you were ment to do. You are so comfortable in your career, and that is a good thing. Most people over there will have a hard time keeping there eyes off of you. You are beaming with confidence. Everyone, not just your family, can see that in you.
    Stay safe.
    Love you,
    Angel
    P.S. Didn't you have a crush on Hewey Lewis too!!! Just a thought for a picture on your wall, personally I would have Mark Walburg AKA Markie Mark when he thought he could sing!!

    ReplyDelete