Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Rooftop in Kabul...and Jalalabad...and









I just love dancing on rooftops all across Afghanistan..yes, this has become a part of my official duties. Well, I don't do this right away, normally once I get a confirmed lock on two satellites orbiting the earth and my video reaches Atlanta, Georgia! Since my return from Vancouver, Canada, I've had the distinct pleasure of climbing onto 4 rooftops so far and I hope to climb on to several more before the year is out. There's something very calming about being out in the open, escaping the crunching of rocks under moving boots, gun fire at a distant range, Afghans working on digging or filling another hole. So I'm currently traveling around Afghanistan to all of our sites that have a Digital Video and Imagery Distribution System (DVIDS) to ensure their equipment functions properly and to train them on proper operating/repair procedures. Who woulda thought that English Lit. and Secondary Educ. major would be turning screws, troubleshooting software problems on a computer and enjoying every minute of it?
Other than jumping on planes and helos to get to different locales, I'm still enjoying meeting and training new and former students at GMIC. Some of the students who took my classes in Feb are now calling and emailing and telling us how much they appreciated the courses and are asking for additional classes! Luckily, I've helped GMIC recruit 13 additional military instructors who have helped to build our program. We have trained over 230 Afghans and hope to reach almost 1000 by the end of the year. I never imagined that someone would pay me to do what I do but I thank Allah every day that this program is available. We are helping the Afghans build their vocational skills and assisting them in learning how to communicate effectively with the public through the media.
As a surprise by the GMIC Staff, I was invited to speak at a Teacher's Appreciation Ceremony at a private school in Kabul. After the ceremony, we all cut a cake the size of a regular car tire - huge - and talked about the future of education in Afghanistan. What a great experience!

So much to do and so little time. Other items of note - Lightening Storms in Afghanistan are simply gorgeous, as are sunsets; tea time isn't about the tea, its about relationships; my Afghan friends love to fatten me up with their awesome food; happiness here in Kabul isn't as much about being happy with possessions as it is with being happy with yourself, your family and your friends. Salam Aleikum.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad to see from your pictures that you are truley happy doing your work. You are a very educated woman with so much to teach others. You will remember all the people you have come in contact with long after you are back home in the states. Thank god you have those wonderfull people to keep you company as a family over there. I doubt that they can fatten you up, but I am sure you are loving every minute of it. Stay safe as you climb to the rooftops. Love and miss you sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, You have found a way to move up in your career!! If being on roof tops makes you happy, go for it..I'm so glad you love where you are and what you're doing. It brings me peace knowing you're with people who care about you and treat you like family.
    Keep well, Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hum - you're taking a liking to a screwdriver. Wonder what you're going to want to build when you get home. Look out Brad! You may take after your grandmother afterall. I'll read this post to her in the morning.

    Glad to hear that your new friends are treating you like family even though (like Angel) I doubt that they can fatten you up.

    It's also great to hear that you enjoy your work so much but please continue to be careful.

    All our love,

    ReplyDelete